Monday, December 14, 2009

One Piece by Kasey Carroll


Redondo

You cradle caramel candy and baby spoons
with your calloused, protecting hands
as we sit, buoyant on the sand.
I call you koala bear, staring at me with your
thick maple syrup eyes,
swollen cheeks, balloon lips,
and wet, salty toes.
Big, you look pretty with the birds
as your audience,

You say,
They want to hear your jasmine voice.
Those little pigeons in the distance,
They love unguided sounds.

You move your hands to the beat of the waves, chewing your caramel candy, pocketing your baby spoons,
saving your favorites for later.
I sing loudly and my words weave a blanket around you.
Wool is my favorite feel;
your voice heats my body.

I give you life as you hold the sunset in your hands,
both hanging comfortably beyond the coral sky.
You smile,
Big, watch me, I’m floating.
I see the mystery in you, the cashmere in your laugh.
You play around with the wind; you touch everything in sight,
pouring love potion and passion fruit iced tea into the world.
My eyes circle you, my prey, my pink rose petal.
I tell you I feel like a star tonight, but you’re most valuable.
Big, you’re my golden prize,
and I’m you’re morning sunshine.
So please, keep singing.

This melody climbs an invisible staircase to your waist,
As you inhale,
the sweet air carries you gently to the ground where I sit.
I sway naturally,
intoxicated by the smell of sugar lingering on your neck.
You part your lips,
Big, you’re blushing!
You kiss me like a bruised plum.
I laugh softly,
burying myself in your precious arms.

{Poem by Kasey Carroll}

No comments: