Sunday, June 29, 2008

Poems


The Swap

One glance across the table
revealing fake vulnerability.
Long, wavy, brown hair,
curious eyes, nervous fidgeting, sweaty palms.
Twenty years apart, age and experience,
he is consumed by lustful thoughts,
desires never realized.

It would be different for her
firm, tight, curves of obsession.
His wrinkles speak volumes.
Opportunity.
One unpleasant moment.
Rent, food, whatever she wanted

Fifty, one hundred, two hundred,
it all depends on the level of human degradation.
Devoid of emotion, pleasure or pain,
numbed.

A simple transaction,
a trade,
his needs for hers.

{Poem by Timothy Duncan}


Cherish the Children

Oh, those blasted prints; I've washed them time, and time again.
Now I sit alone in my silent home, and gaze through my spotless windowpane, and in my heart, it began to rain.

Had I caused pain when I often exclaimed, "get back, get away, you'll get prints on the pane" ? Now those hands are so big and strong, and my son is full-grown.

If only I'd known how much it would matter, and how much I would miss the pitter-patter, the constant chatter, and those tiny prints on the pane.

Cherish your children, for too soon they'll be grown, and you'll feel alone and like your house is no longer a home.

But wait. What's that I hear? A precious new child will soon be here.
I'll put the cleaning cloth away. Those tiny prints can stay and stay. My grandson and I are going to play.

Cherish your children today.

{Poem by Susan Roberts Button}


Dad's Wishes

Mother's belly is like a balloon
About to pop
Nine months like a fish
Floating in the ocean
Born I'm finally free
Dad always wished for a boy
Imagined jump shots and home runs
When I arrived I brought tears
He will have to play
Dress up and Barbie dolls
With his loving daughter

{Poem by Bianka Walker}

No comments: