Thursday, January 1, 2009

One Piece by Lindsey Malott


The Broken

So this is how it feels to fall from the highest peak.
To climb head strong with all my might.
To ascend to the purest sunrise.
And unwillingly plummet to my doomed descending.

The heart feels no desire to beat.
Yet the mind thinks it’s merely unprepared to crash.
Clinched fists enclose peaceful palms.
Readying for the battle of a lifetime.

Eyes wide open and ears sealed shut,
I see the open air around my failures.
Scream not at the unknown.
Curse the once assured safety.

Spiraling downward at indeterminable accelerations,
My fragile fingers cover my face.
The delicate eyelashes blink,blink,blink,
As the bitter salt envelopes my mouth.

My once strong arms embrace my wretched body.
I am alone in the vast array of blue and white.
The warmth of the sun chills my neck.

You failed me,
And I wish to see no more.

Shutting my lids.
Opening my soul.
Un-healable wounds relentlessly seep.
Nearing the barren ground,
I hear the silent footsteps of those who came before me.

{Poem by Lindsey Malott}

No comments: